The David Bowie Estate today announced a series of releases from David Bowie’s catalog that have been remixed and reimagined exclusively in 360 Reality Audio, a new immersive music experience driven by Sony’s spatial sound technology. The content is the latest David Bowie music to be mixed in 360 Reality Audio, following Space Oddity, which is currently available on 360 Reality Audio-supported streaming platforms.
In conjunction with the ongoing Bowie 75 – an extended celebration of David Bowie’s 75th birthday on January 8th, 2022 featuring two physical pop up locations in NYC and London equipped with 360 Reality Audio listening experiences at each location – longtime Bowie producer Tony Visconti crafted 360 Reality Audio mixes of Heathen, Reality, A Reality Tour (Live), The Next Day, and ★ (pronounced “Blackstar”). The albums will be available for streaming in 360 Reality Audio beginning January 21st on Amazon Music Unlimited, Deezer, and TIDAL.
Additionally, the David Bowie Estate and Sony are making available four archival live performance recordings that have been mixed and reimagined in 360 Reality Audio (which makes it possible to create a lifelike music experience, giving listeners the feeling that they are in a live concert setting). The four songs are from David Bowie’s A Reality Tour, featuring live audio and video from Bowie’s final concert tour, to be livestreamed in 360 Reality Audio today, January 6th at 4:00 pm PST / 7:00 pm EST on the Online Platform “Sony Square” (via David Bowie’s YouTube channel). Listeners everywhere can use any set of headphones to hear the music in 360 Reality Audio.
Immediately following the livestream, viewers will be able to stream this performance with the Artist Connection app on a smartphone. With Sony certified headphones and the Sony | Headphones Connect app, users can also optimize their experience by analyzing their individual ear shape to enjoy a custom immersive musical field. This sound field personalization feature is only available for streaming with the Artist Connection experience.
Both the YouTube livestream and the Artist Connection viewing experiences will be available to the general public.
“The fan response to Bowie 75 has been nothing short of amazing,” said Lawrence Peryer, Producer of Bowie 75. “David was always on the cutting edge of the latest developments in technology, so it was a natural fit to collaborate with Sony’s 360 Reality Audio team to bring fans a whole new way to experience his music. The reimagining of David’s music, which can be experienced at the pop-ups or via streaming, has given his lifelong fans and new listeners alike a reason to celebrate.”
Tune into the livestream here: here.
Download, Watch & Listen on Artist Connection here.
“It’s been an honor partnering with the David Bowie Estate to help deliver special new fan experiences as part of Bowie 75,” said Jordy Freed, Head of Partner Marketing & Strategy, Sony Corporation of America. “We hope David Bowie fans everywhere enjoy listening to this iconic music in 360 Reality Audio.”
The Bowie 75 pop up locations will remain open through late January, 2022. The Bowie 75 locations are at 150 Wooster Street, NY — steps away from Bowie’s longtime downtown New York City neighborhood — and 14 Heddon Street — the London location where the cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars was shot.
The pop-ups offer visitors a unique and immersive career-spanning deep dive into the sound and vision of David Bowie, with features including:
- Immersive audio and HD video screening rooms in partnership with 360 Reality Audio, an immersive music experience using Sony’s spatial sound technologies. With music in 360 Reality Audio, fans will be able to hear and see Bowie content available for the first time in immersive audio, exclusively in the Bowie 75 locations.
- Hours of video content including previously unseen behind-the-scenes material, rare footage from the Heathen and Reality eras, and more.
- Opportunities to purchase limited edition releases of exclusive Bowie apparel and collectibles, as well as limited run LPs and CDs.
- Exclusive fine art photography including gallery installations documenting Bowie’s many iconic eras, personae, and Ch-changes.
- Fans can place themselves in iconic costumes and set pieces to create fun and shareable social media moments
- And more— For store hours, events calendars and other announcements and information, sign up and stay tuned to Bowie 75.
*Feature image courtesy of the artist’s site.